1) By default there are 3 storage group (disk type) in TSM. You need to add the volume into storage group that you are going to use.
Create a folder named backuppool in G: drive, archivepool in I: drive
* Define the volume for backuppool and archivepool, f means how many Mege bytes.
def vol backuppool G:\backuppool\bk1.dsm f=10000
def vol archivepool I:\archivepool\arc1.dsm f=10000
2) Policy domain is where you can define management class to meet the business requirements. e.g. how how version will be kept, how many days the archive copy will kept. In my example, I will define a policy domain named FILE, which will be used to meet the file server backup needs.
* Define a policy domain named FILE, backretention defines the retention period (days) after a file has been deleted.
define domain FILE desc=”Domain for backup of files” backretention=360
* Define a policy set named NORMAL. One policy domain can have multiple sets, but only one is active.
define policyset FILE NORMAL desc=”The policy for normal requirements”
* Define management class DAILY, MONTHLY, YEARLY
define mgmtclass FILE NORMAL DAILY desc=”Daily management class”
define mgmtclass FILE NORMAL MONTHLY desc=”Monthly management class”
define mgmtclass FILE NORMAL YEARLY desc=”Yearly management class”
* Make DAILY as the default management class in the NORMAIL policy set
assign defmgmtclass FILE NORMAL DAILY
* Define backup/archive copy groups attributes. verexists defines that when a file exists on the client node, retain how many backup versions of the file. retextra defines how many days the extra version will be kept. verd defines that when the file is deleted, how many versions will be kept. retver defines how many days the archived copy will be kept. (In my example, Daily backup keeps for
def copygroup FILE NORMAL DAILY standard type=backup dest=backuppool verexists=7 retextra=30 verd=1 reto=360
def copygroup FILE NORMAL DAILY standard type=archive dest=archivepool retver=31
def copygroup FILE NORMAL MONTHLY standard type=backup dest=backuppool verexists=12 retextra=365 verd=1 reto=365
def copygroup FILE NORMAL MONTHLY standard type=archive dest=archivepool retver=365
def copygroup FILE NORMAL YEARLY standard type=backup dest=backuppool verexists=3 retextra=1095 verd=1 reto=1095
def copygroup FILE NORMAL YEARLY standard type=archive dest=archivepool retver=1095
* Use update command to modify the parameters. e.g I changed the daily reto from 360 to 31.
update copygroup FILE NORMAL DAILY standard type=backup dest=backuppool verexists=7 retextra=31 verd=1 reto=31
* As mentioned above only one policy set can be active. Activate the policy set.
validate policyset FILE NORMAL
activate policy FILE NORMAL
* Update the node client policy domain association. By default it is associated to STANDARD
update node TSM_CLIENT01 domain=FILE
* Check the filespace and storage group usage
3) Login into the TSM_Client01 to run a backup job.
Select the content then click backup.
A detailed report will display once the backup is completed.
4) Run a Archive job.
5) Login back to TSM_Sandbox to check the storage group space usage.
6) Login to TSM_Client01 to delete the file that just backed up, then launch the BA client.
Retrieve process is exactly the same.